Tony Bennett (born Anthony Dominick Benedetto; August 3, 1926) is an American singer of popular music, standards, show tunes, and jazz.
Relationship with Lady Gaga
On May 9, 2011 at the Robin Hood Gala, Tony Bennett who was also performing that night, saw Gaga's rendition of "Orange Colored Sky". He was impressed by her performance and soon after, asked her to do a song for his second album of duets. On July 31, 2011, Bennett and Lady Gaga recorded a cover of "The Lady is a Tramp", which was released on Bennett's album, Duets II (September 20, 2011). The two later appeared on the ABC special, "A Very Gaga Thanksgiving" (2011) and at the Inauguration ball (2013) performing the same song.
On September 12, 2011, Tony sketched a portrait of Gaga with charcoal at his studio during a cover story with photographer Annie Leibovitz for Vanity Fair. Bennett's sketch was later auctionned on eBay and the proceeds went to Bennett’s Exploring the Arts charity and Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation.
- "Tony recently sketched this portrait of @LadyGaga at her @VanityFair photo shoot with @annieleibovitz. http://pic.twitter.com/vr4JT5Po" 2:37 PM, Dec 2nd via web
- "Thrilled that my portrait of @ladygaga is up for auction to support our charity efforts! Bid at http://ebay.com/celebrity http://twitpic.com/7sdznq" 8:12 AM, Dec 12th via Twitpic
In 2014, Gaga asked Bennett to draw a trumpet so she could get it tattooed. Bennett sketched Miles Davis' trumpet and signed it with his last name, Benedetto. On June 18, 2014, Gaga got a trumpet on the top inside of her right arm.
- "I asked Tony to draw me a trumpet, and he sketched me Miles Davis' trumpet. Then I had it tattooed with his last name, Benedetto, underneath. Just so I would always remember this time together."
Work with Lady Gaga
- "The Lady is a Tramp" (Duets II, 2011)
- "We're Doing a Sequel" (Muppets Most Wanted, 2014)
- Cheek to Cheek (2014)
- "Winter Wonderland" (2014)
- Love for Sale (2021)