Writing and inspiration
The title of the song was used to describe herself on her PureVolume page back in 2006. The name might have also come from the retro sounding dance beat in her earlier songs and her feelings of being a freak when she was younger.
- "Who's that lady? She's 20. She's a songwriter. She is a singer. She's a pianist. And sheez-a-crazy. A RETRO, DANCE, FREAK."
- Both "Retro, Dance, Freak" and "I Like It Rough" are the only two songs Gaga has not performed live yet.
- Guitar — Tom Kafafian
- Piano and synthesizer — Lady Gaga
- Bass — Calvin "Sci-Fidelity" Gaines
- Additional programming — Calvin "Sci-Fidelity" Gaines
- Recorded — 150 Studios (Parsippany, New Jersey, )
- Mixed — Rob Fusari, Earl Cohen
- Stefani Germanotta P/K/A Lady Gaga (BMI) Sony/ATV Songs, LLC/ House of Gaga Publishing, LLC / GloJoe Music Inc. (BMI)
- June Bug Alley (ASCAP)
- [ASCAP] Thomas Kafafian Music
— TEAM LOVE CHILD —