Nicola Formichetti (born 31 May 1977) is an Italian/Japanese fashion director and fashion editor. He is most widely known as the new artistic director for the Italian fashion label DIESEL, and for being a member of the Haus of Gaga as fashion director (2009 - 2011). He worked two years (September 2010 - April 2013) with the French fashion house MUGLER as artistic director. Formichetti is also known as fashion director of Vogue Hommes Japan, is a contributing editor of several other fashion magazines, and is fashion director for the clothing company Uniqlo.
|“||I hate the term “stylist.” [...] I’ve always seen myself as an art director—someone whose job it is to create moods, oversee an overall image. [...] I love everything about fashion, so when I get labeled as a stylist—one tiny part of that world—it really pisses me off.||”|
Meeting Lady Gaga
Nicola met Gaga in 2009 for the The Beauty Issue of V shot by Sebastian Faena . He gave her the Nasir Mazhar orb hat and she wore it straight away on The Ellen DeGeneres Show the next day. At the beginning of their collaboration, Nicola had to use his name in order to secure clothes for Gaga as many designers were reluctant at first.The two became best friends and did their first collaboration at the MuchMusic Video Awards in 2009. He became a part of the Haus and was one of three most known members along with Laurieann Gibson and Matthew Williams.
|“||I first met her at a photoshoot for V Magazine. It was an instant love. I had always stayed away from celebrity and musicians before, but she was so different. Instantly we understood each other completely.||”|
|“||We did a live performance in Canada, with a load of dancers, so that was the first thing we did with the Haus. Basically, the concept was avant-garde punk with lots of studs, and we made this dress out of hair and a bra that shot fire from the nipples.||”|
Work with Lady Gaga
For his works with Gaga, Nicola usually had a few assistants with him. Two of the most frequent assistants were Anna Trevelyan and Brandon Maxwell. All the work below is credited as "Fashion Director" unless noted.
Formichetti revealed in 2013 to WWD that he was no longer an active member of the Haus of Gaga and that his former assistant Brandon Maxwell replaced him.
- "She's going to be my BFF forever, but my ex-assistant Brandon is heading that project. I’m too busy with [other commitments]. I’ve done two albums with her, it’s been like five years, and you know, I’m always going to be involved somehow, but I cannot do it every day. She changes 12 times a day; it’s insane."
Nicola's Pop Up Shop
In September 2011, Nicola Opens Pop-Up Store in NYC. The style of this visionary is revealed at a new concept store, done in collaboration with Gage/Clemenceau Architects. Injected with the pop art of Warhol and the grunge of old New York and the craze of Gaga, the shop comes to life with reflective floors, red leather studded vests and lingerie and 3-D animations. Haus of Gaga looks including the singer's costume from her blood-drenched "Paparazzi" performance at the VMA's, towering Mugler shoes and clothing, and Vintage Versace pieces are all on exhibit in this cave of ingenuity. Formichetti's muse and model, Rico, also known as the Zombie Boy, who stars in Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" video, will be stopping in throughout the week.
- On her right hand.
Fall 2016 Collection
Resort 2017 Collection
Fall/Winter 2017 Collection
- Leather biker jacket and shorts based on Diesel’s Resort 2017 Collection.
- Deep-plunging fringed crystal mesh neck halter top and an oversize cropped black biker jacket with matching shorts, embellished with crystal studded leather fringes and large crystal stars based from Spring/Summer 2017 Collection.
- ↑ ""Nicola Formichetti". Vice Magazine. http://www.viceland.com/int/v18n3/htdocs/nicola-formichetti-738.php?page=2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ben Reardon, The World Gone Gaga, i-D magazine, 2010