"Government Hooker" is a song by Lady Gaga off Born This Way. The song title was revealed through Vogue magazine. During an OTP interview with Ryan Seacrest, Gaga spoke about the song; "It was originally a hip-hop beat, but as we progressed we doubled the speed so it's now a very hard hitting club track. Some of the lyrics are dirty but it is one of my favorite songs off the record". On March 2nd, Gaga previewed a short remixed clip of the song at the Anatomy of Change Fashion Show by Thierry Mugler in Paris. In the beginning of the song "Io ritorne-" can be heard, probably the phrase is in Italian, "Io ritornerò" ("I will come back"). The song was registered on Gaga's BMI on May 17, 2011. A small part of the song is used as an outro for Gaga Live At Sydney Monster Hall.
- “To me, that song is my favorite song, and it’s just a beast. I don’t even know how to explain it. [Born This Way] is not a pop album; it’s a pop masterpiece of music. If there was no category of pop music, you wouldn’t call it pop music. We were in this studio in Vegas, and I was playing some hip-hop stuff [for Gaga's label boss Vince Herbert], and I ran across this [old beat I had made], and we were talking about faster songs, so I sped it up and I played it for Vince. He was like, ‘Whoa.’ She walked in, and I played it for her and [producer] Fernando [Garibay]. She laid it out in two seconds. She sang over the melody and tuned it up and put the chorus in. She finished it super quick.”
- “The guy that’s actually talking, that’s her security guard. We were sitting there thinking how to make a computerized voice, so we were like, ‘Let’s get Pete in here.’ He’s got a super-thick Dutch accent, and he’s trying to read off paper. It was insane, and he just talks like that. That’s what it’s like working with Gaga. It’s like a f—ing supernova. When she walks into a room, things explode. She thinks of sh– that I can’t comprehend. It doesn’t make sense to me, and I’m a creative person. Working with her is totally different than anyone else I’ve ever done anything with. She’s the most hands-on person I’ve ever run into. She could walk into Steve Jobs’ office and tell him he’s doing Apple wrong, and he’d listen. As a producer, it’s super cool to be with somebody who generally cares and is fully involved.”
NME described the song as “Gregorian pop chants, pervy robot voices (courtesy of Gaga’s bodyguard, Pete), window-rattling beats, and the extraordinary line 'Put your hands on me, JF Kennedy'.”
Gaga revealed that “The humour is that a machine in tells me what to do and I happily do it as long as I get fucked. It a relates to how our government fuck us over, but it makes fun of the plastic popstar – I’ll do anything as long as you fuck me and pay me.”
During the Fuse interview, Gaga explained the creation of the song. "We started out with this very French dark hip-hop beat. So we made it really really fast. And it took on this completley new energy. And I've been sonically really wanting to push for 4-on-the-floor It's a little bit of a different approach than I've taken in the past." Gaga proceeded to explain the meaning of the song. "There's a voice in the background when I'm singing /As long as/ I'm your hooker/ and then the Government says: /Back up/ And Turn Around/. How much are you willing to be a puppet and hooker and how much more do you want to fight for what you believe in?"
- DJ White Shadow Mugler Remix — 3:35
- Steve Aoki Remix — 2:44
- In 2011, the song was not performed, although it was used (album version and instrumental) as an outro piece or as part of an interlude in several performances.
- Programming — Fernando Garibay, DJ White Shadow
- Keyboard — DJ White Shadow, DJ Snake
- Guitars — Kareem "Jesus" Devlin Byrne, DJ White Shadow
- Drums, bass — DJ Snake
- Background vocals — Lady Gaga, Brian Lee, Peter van der Veen (Gov.)
- Recording — Fernando Garibay, Bill Malina at Studio at the Palms (August 2010, Las Vegas )
- Mixing — Dave Russell at The Mix Room (Burbank )
- Assistant — Paul Pavao
- Mastering — Gene Grimaldi at Oasis Mastering (Burbank )
- Sony/ATV Songs LLC / House of Gaga Publishing LLC (BMI)
- Sony/ATV Songs LLC / Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp./ Garibay Music Publishing (BMI)
All rights on behalf of itself and Garibay Music Publishing administered by WB Music Corp.
- Maxwell and Carter Publishing, LLC (ASCAP), administered by Universal Music Publishing Group