The Met Gala, formally called the Costume Institute Gala and also known as the Met Ball, is an annual fundraising gala for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York City since 1946. It marks the grand opening of the Costume Institute's annual fashion exhibit. Each year's event celebrates the theme of that year's Costume Institute exhibition, and the exhibition sets the tone for the formal dress of the night since guest are expected to choose their fashion to match the theme of the exhibit. Each year the event also has honorary celebrity event day chairpersons.
It was reported that Lady Gaga had suffered from stage fright before performing. It was also reported that Oprah Winfrey had to convince her to perform. She had also skipped the red carpet introduction. When informed of this by a journalist, Gaga replied "I wasn’t nervous! To be honest with you, I don’t give a f*** about red carpets, and I never do them. I don’t like them. First of all – how could any of these outfits possibly look good with an ugly red carpet under them?”
- Set list:
- Lady Gaga's hair — Frederic Aspiras
- Lady Gaga's makeup — Tara Savelo
- Band and Dancers' glam — Sarah Tanno
Making up at Carlyle Hotel
"In celebration of the opening, The Costume Institute Benefit, also known as The Met Gala, will take place on Monday, May 6, 2019. The evening’s co-chairs will be Lady Gaga, Alessandro Michele, Harry Styles, Serena Williams, and Anna Wintour."
Lady Gaga was the first to arrive on the Pink Carpet, early, to execute what was essentially a fifteen-minute performance piece on Camp. With 8 members of the Haus of Gaga (Glam, Creative and Dance squads) in participation, Gaga proceeded to reveal 4 outfits -ascending and descending The Met steps between each reveal- while performing pantomimes with props and choreographed movements to the delight of the many press and onlookers.
It was an event without precedent. At one point, the crowds started chanting "Gaga!" after reveals. The hashtag #MetGaga was born and trending on social media. When asked how anyone else is supposed to follow this, Anna Wintour, watching for the top of the stairs, was heard saying "Aww, they should all just go home."
In a Behind the scenes video filmed by Vogue, we see glimpses into the creative processes behind the creation of Gaga's four red carpet looks, the choreography and final make-up and hair prep (done in the Regis High School presidents' office) as well as, finalizing rehearsals, the procession down Fifth Avenue and the arrival onto the Met Gala Pink Carpet.
- Photography by Pierre Snaps
Camp! the Movie
- Directed by Bardia Zeinali
- Styling: Tom Eerebout and Sandra Amador
- Makeup: Sarah Tanno-Stewart using Marc Jacobs
- Hair: Frederic Aspiras using Joico and GHD
- Nails: Naomi Yasuda using OPI
- Lady Gaga wears a custom outfit and headband by Brandon Maxwell.
- Lady Gaga wears a custom dress by Brandon Maxwell, sunglasses by Linda Farrow and N° 21 with Swarovski crystals, and a telephone clutch by Judith Leiber.
- Lady Gaga wears custom underwear by Brandon Maxwell with Swarovski crystals, heels by Pleaser customized by GEE with Swarovski crystals, and rings by Tiffany & Co..
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|