Gaga explained in an interview with Zane Lowe of Apple Music that the song is about an antipsychotic that she takes. "It's because I can't always control things that my brain does. I know that. And I have to take medication tos top the process that occurs."
Gaga performed the song live for the first time in a medley during the 2020 MTV Video Music Awards. On September 17, 2020, she announced it would be released as a single accompanied by a short film the next day.
- Photography by Mason Poole.
Synopsis and fashion credits
Visuals for video references films “The Color of the Pomegranate” and “Ashik Kerib” by Armenian film director Sergei Parajanov and “8½” by Italian Federico Fellini.
The music video is mirrored reality, a symbolic dream of a “real” world. A person banging his head onto the pillow represents a person banging his head into the airbag, red ankle chain represents Gaga’s bleeding foot, two people descending from the top of the building represents paramedics coming to the accident site with helicopter, mirror in paramedics hand represents light shined into the Gaga’s eye to check brain death, rope represents doctors trying to save Gaga’s life - to name a few parallels between Gaga’s perception and the “real” events.
As Gaga said this video is “very personal to her, her experience with mental health and the way reality and dreams can interconnect to form heroes within us and all around us”; “911” MV is a metaphor for how Gaga chooses to see reality in her own artistic way.
- Lady Gaga wears a custom dress and cape by Johannes Warnke customized by Haus of Gaga, a bracelet by Lillian Shalom, earrings by House of Emmanuele, rings from Western Costume Company, and a mask by Dead Lotus Couture.
- Lady Gaga wears a custom dress by Diego Montoya in collaboration with Marshall Columbia and Sydney Moss, and a mask by Lance Victor Moore.
- Lady Gaga wears a dress by Universal Studios Costume, and a halo by Shaun Leane for Alexander McQueen.
- Lady Gaga wears a skirt by Karina Akopyan, a bra by Carapace, a headpiece by It Spain, and a bracelet by Fabio Dultra.
- Lady Gaga wears a custom catsuit by It Spain, a corset and a belt by Karina Akopyan, and a custom coat by Marta del Rio and Samuel Ososki.
- Lady Gaga wears a gown by Johannes Warnke, a headpiece by Lance Victor Moore, and a necklace and bracelets from Western Costume Company.
- Lady Gaga wears a bodysuit, leggings, gloves, a headpiece, and boots by Karina Akopyan in collaboration with Monika Bereza.
- Lady Gaga wears a dress by Alexander McQueen.
- Lady Gaga wears sneakers by Reebok.
- It's rumored that this song was an outtake from The Fame, Gaga's debut album. This is due to the fact that fans have pointed out similarities to it's sound to the songs of the record.
- Prior to the release of Chromatica, there had been rumors as well that Gaga was going to rework one of her older songs and place them on the record.
- Gaga tweeted "A POP MUSIC EMERGENCY IS UNDERWAY 911" on August 12, 2013, and quote tweeted it on September 17, 2020 before announcing "911" as a single.
|Written by||Lady Gaga, Michael Tucker, Hugo Leclercq and Justin Tranter|
|Produced by||BloodPop® and Madeon|
|Vocal Produced by||Benjamin Rice|
|Recorded by||Benjamin Rice at Henson Recording Studios, Los Angeles|
|Mixed by||Benjamin Rice and Tom Norris at Henson Recording Studios, Los Angeles |
Assisted by E. Scott Kelly
|Mastered by||Randy Merrill at Sterling Sound, New York, NY|
|Track Participants||Drums, Bass, Keyboards, Guitar(s) & Percussion by Bloodpop® and Madeon|
Short film credits
|Starring||Lady Gaga, Sia Zami, Nicole Montgomery, Mazen Shehabi, Jessus Zambrano and Alexis Arrendondo|
|Art Direction||Travis Brothers, Bryan Rivera, Isha Dipika Walia & Darío Alva for Studio Pending|
|Manager||Bobby Campbell and Bo O'Connor at Haus of Gaga|
|Fashion Direction||Nicola Formichetti at Haus of Gaga|
|Styling||Marta del Rio at Haus of Gaga|
|Head Make-up||Sarah Nicole Tanno using Haus Laboratories at Haus of Gaga|
|Assisted by||Yukari Obayashi Bush|
|Additional MUA||Michael Anthony, Eryn Krueger Mekash, Kim Ayers and Silvina Knight|
|Head Hair||Frederic Aspiras using Joico at Haus of Gaga|
|Additional hairstylists||Nozomi Hirao, Akiko, Yuma, Michelle Ceglia, Analyn Cruz and Taschi Lynell|